This Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a warm comfort food you can feel good about eating. It is loaded with fresh ingredients and will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
Toppings are Key
Before getting into the nitty gritty, I must tell you the toppings are key in this recipe. The soup is pretty damn good by itself but when you add the toppings, this recipe is an absolute home-run.
The lime juice, red cabbage and cilantro add a fresh crunch as well as a bit of zest which balances out the rich warm flavors of the soup so perfectly, I don't even have words. Also, a dollop of Greek yogurt is a must! It is creamy, tart and amazing. Can you tell this is one of my favorite recipes?
I ate this soup for 5 meals straight (yes, even breakfast). I would have eaten it for 6 or 7 meals but I downed the entire pot of soup by meal 5.
Light and Healthy Ingredients
Healthy Comfort Food: With winter around the corner, I'm always looking for tasty comfort food to warm me up on cold days. However, enjoying comfort food doesn't mean having to sacrifice healthy eating. This recipe is the perfect example. The soup itself is loaded with nutritious ingredients and topped with even more fresh deliciousness. It is hearty enough to be a complete meal itself!
Less Salt: The soup is packed full of flavor using natural spices, herbs, garlic and onion. Also, we used low-sodium chicken stock and seasoned the soup with himalayan salt instead (it is my fav!). I always recommend this because it allows you to control the amount of sodium and type of salt used in the recipe.
Creamy & Healthy: To get that thick creamy texture, we skipped the heavy cream (although I LOVE me a creamy soup with that heavy cream) and thickened the soup with a little whole wheat flour instead.
Go Greek: We used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It gives the soup a little bit of that creamy tartness that is OH SO GOOD. To be honest, I think Greek yogurt actually tastes better than sour cream in the recipe anyway. So, it's a win win!
Fresh Ingredients: As always, this recipe is packed full of nourishing ingredients. To really top it off, we added a bunch of fresh toppings to the soup like fresh lime juice, cabbage, avocado and cilantro. Not only is it one hella good meal to eat but it is just as good for your body!
Meal Prep & Leftovers
The leftovers are just as tasty. This soup reheats wonderfully. So, this recipe is a good meal prep option. Whether you have a busy week, need lunch to bring to the office or like the simplicity of having leftovers in the fridge, this Chicken Tortilla Soup is a great option.
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Warm comfort food loaded with fresh ingredients.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock (low-sodium if possible)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5oz)
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups shredded chicken (1 lb. raw)*
- 1.5 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- TOPPINGS (optional):
- Greek yogurt
- red cabbage
- fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- Prep ingredients. Chop the onion. Peel and mince the cloves of garlic. Chop the jalapeño.
- Add the olive oil and chopped onion to a large pot over medium heat. Cook for about 4-6 minutes or until the onions have softened. Add the garlic to the pot and cook for another minute.
- Then add the whole wheat flour, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes while stirring. At this point the flour and seasonings will stick to the onion and garlic. The mixture should be very dry and fragrant.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken stock 1 cup at a time. Whisk well to avoid any lumps! Add the can of diced tomatoes, jalapeño, frozen corn and shredded chicken*. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the toppings. Cut lime into wedges. Thinly slice the red cabbage. Roughly chop the fresh cilantro. Either slice or dice the avocado. Sprinkle all the toppings with salt and a couple squeezes of lime juice. Set the toppings aside.
- Once the soup has simmered for 10-15 minutes, reduce the heat to low. Stir in the cheese one handful at a time.
- Serve immediately and top with Greek yogurt, lime wedges, red cabbage, fresh cilantro and avocado. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge.
*This recipe calls for shredded chicken. Simply coat 1 lb. of chicken breasts/filets (usually 2-3 pieces) with a little bit of olive oil and a couple sprinkles of salt. Cook the chicken in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then shred the cooked chicken with two forks. This can be done the day before making the soup to save time!