My dearest mother is the culinary genius behind this tasty masterpiece everyone refers to as Mother Theresa's Famous Italian Beef. She's been making it for years and it is quite the crowd pleaser. Requiring only 4 ingredients and 2 minutes of prep, this is the stuff legends are made of.
This recipe is as easy as it gets but for some reason it seems like I can never make it as good as my mom. Nothing beats mom's home cooking. Am I right?!
It is cooked low and slow in beer and pepperoncini peppers making it incredibly tender. Every bite melts in your mouth. The pepperoncini peppers add a tiny little zing which is not only DELICIOUS but pretty unique. NOM NOM! Also, I hate to state the obvious but anything cooked low and slow in beer is pretty much guaranteed to be a home run.
One of the best things about this recipe is it is so versatile. The possibilities are endless! My favorite ways to eat it (other than straight out of the crock-pot) is in a sandwich with a simple soft Hawaiian roll with a little bit of the juice poured over the shredded beef. My mouth is watering just at the thought.
Anyway, you can serve this Italian beef with mashed potatoes and a veggie for a classic American dinner. You can use it in paninis, tacos, breakfast hashes, burrito bowls, gyros, meat sauce... the list goes on! It is a GREAT meal prep recipe and is so easy to make ahead.
Mother Theresa’s Famous Italian Beef
- 3-5lb. beef roast*
- 1 can beer
- 1 16 oz. jar pepperoncini peppers
- 1 Italian seasoning packet or 2-3 Tbsp. of homemade Italian seasoning**
- Cook: Put all ingredients into a crock-pot including the juice from the jar of pepperoncini peppers. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Shred: Remove the roast from the crock-pot and put on a cutting board. Shred the roast with two forks. It should shred very easily since it has been cooking low and slow for hours.
- Cook (round two): Once the roast is shredded return it to the crock-pot and cook for an additional hour on low heat to let the shredded beef really soak up all the delicious flavors.
- EAT: Serve immediately or refrigerate in a sealed container in the fridge. I always store the Italian beef in the cooking liquid because it makes the beef incredibly flavorful and juicy.
*The grocery store will probably have all kinds of roasts. Don't let that throw you! Any kind of roast will work. For this specific recipe the cheaper roasts (rump roast or chuck roast) are what I generally use because it is cooked low and slow which will make any roast tender and delicious! So, there is no need to drop extra $$$ on an expensive roast.