One-Pan Caprese Chicken and Baby Potatoes
This recipe has slightly crispy baby potatoes, warm mozzarella melted over chicken topped with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, olive oil and balsamic. It is a delicious, satisfying and healthy meal conveniently cooked in one sheet pan for easy prep and even easier cleanup!
People go nuts for one-pan meals (checkout our one-pan fajitas and one-pan salmon dinner). What's not to love?! A meal that is healthy, satisfying, prepared quickly and done so in the convenience of a single pan is one I can jump on board with! So, we thought we'd keep the one-pan meals coming!
One-pan meals are my go-to for busy weekday meals simply because they are easy, fast and a breeze to cleanup. Also, roasting things in the oven is easy peasy because it takes the guesswork out of trying to determine doneness like when cooking on the stove or grill. Just preheat the oven, set the timer and relax until the buzzer goes off. Can I get a fist pump?!
Tomatoes have made many appearances in Zested Lemon recipes because. Lately roasted cherry tomatoes have been my go-to snack. I LOVE tomatoes because they are versatile, fresh, colorful, tasty and darn good for you! What's not to love?! So, when tomato season rolls around, I'm more than excited! Checkout all these stunning tomatoes that are straight from my mom's garden. Note to self. I really need to up my gardening game!
I've made this recipe many times at home and I've always made it to serve three meals and here's why. Chicken breasts generally come in packages of three. When I make meals at home, I like to use all of a single ingredient if possible. I don't like to have half of a bell pepper leftover or one chicken breast leftover if I can avoid it. Leftover ingredients are more likely to go to waste. So, when I open a package of chicken breasts, I cook up all of them even if I don't need to feed three people that night. Any leftovers or extra servings go in the fridge for the following day or I pack them up for my husband to take to work. This is an added bonus of cooking extra because I can cook and clean once but eat two or three times! It's a time saver people and makes life easier!
You will also notice this recipe is written to serve three. Most recipes serve 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. but as I was writing this recipe, I decided I wanted to write it exactly how I cook it in my everyday life. Chances are if I cook things this way, others probably do as well! However, it is easy to adjust the recipe for the amount of servings you personally need.
One-Pan Caprese Chicken and Roasted Baby Potatoes
Prepare a delicious, satisfying and healthy meal in one pan. Easy prep. Easy cleanup. Amazing meal.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (4-6 ounces each)
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 18 ounces baby potatoes (18-21 potatoes)
- 4-5 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/2 tsp. thyme (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. oregano (optional)
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 6-7 fresh basil leaves (3 Tbsp thinnly sliced)
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Prep Fresh Ingredients: Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place in a medium sized bowl. Add 1/2 Tbsp. of olive oil, 1/2 tsp. of balsamic vinegar, 1/4 tsp. of salt and 1/8 tsp. of ground black pepper to the bowl and use a spoon to gently combine all the ingredients. Set aside. Next, roll up the fresh basil like a cigarette and thinly slice the basil leaves into thin ribbons. Set aside.
- Prep Potatoes: Cut the baby potatoes in half or in quarters and place on left side of a baking sheet along with the cloves of garlic, unpeeled. Drizzle them with 1/2-1 Tbsp. of olive oil and sprinkle 1 tsp. of salt, 1/2 tsp. of thyme (optional) and 1/2 tsp. oregano (optional). Then gently toss the potatoes with your hands to coat them evenly. Spread the potatoes into a single layer on the left side of the sheet pan. Set aside.
- Prep Chicken: Coat the chicken breasts with 1 tsp. of olive and season with 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp. of ground black pepper (or season to personal preference). Place the chicken breasts on the right side of the sheet pan. Thinly slice the fresh mozzarella to melt on top of the chicken. Set the mozzarella aside.
- Cook and Melt: Place the sheet pan in the oven for 20 minutes. Then place the fresh mozzarella slices on top of the chicken breasts and return the sheet pan to the oven for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the mozzarella is melted, the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are slightly crispy around the edges.
- Assemble: Portion out the baby potatoes and chicken breasts with melted fresh mozzarella onto three plates. Top the chicken with the tomatoes and a sprinkle of the fresh basil.
- Enjoy immediately and store any leftovers in the fridge!