This sweet, spicy and zesty recipe is the perfect grill-able for parties, bbqs, picnics or just a healthy meal at home. Serve with brown rice and creamy Avocado Sauce for a complete meal!
These Pineapple Jalapeño Shrimp Skewers pack a punch of flavor on the convenience of a stick (mhm we're from Minnesota here). When dipped in Cilantro Avocado Sauce, these skewers give a whole new meaning to sugar and spice and everything nice.
I LOVE grilled pineapple. It is sweet and juicy with just a hint of smokiness. It reminds of me of summer (especially during the bitter cold Minnesota winters). Since pineapple is boldly sweet, naturally my next ingredient was another bold choice... jalapeños! Here at ZL we like it sweet and we like it spicy... but we aren't done yet. Throw some zesty Cilantro Lime Shrimp into the mix and BOOM! We have a bold flavor trifecta!
Serve these skewers with this Cilantro Avocado Sauce and you won't regret it. It is really simple and only requires 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to make. Also, you can make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge if you want. The creamy avocado sauce drizzled over the skewers brings all the bold flavors together. Add some rice and you've got one hell of a meal!
Pineapple Jalapeño Shrimp Skewers
The magic of sweet, spicy and zesty on a stick!
- 1 lb. raw shrimp (peeled and deveined)*
- 3 jalapeños
- 2 cups pineapple
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 4 Tbsp. cilantro chopped (half a bunch)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Prep Ingredients: Cut the pineapple and jalapeño into pieces about the same size and thickness of your shrimp. This will ensure all the ingredients cook evenly and get a nice sear from the grill. Set aside. Remove the tails of the shrimp (if they are still attached) by pinching the base of the tail and gently pulling it off the shrimp. Mince the garlic or put it through a garlic press. Chop the cilantro. Soak wooden skewers in water to prevent them from burning (optional step).
- Marinade: To make the shrimp marinade, combine 2 Tbsp. olive oil with the garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and 1/2 tsp. of salt (or to taste) in a medium sized bowl. Once the ingredients are well combined, add the shrimp to the bowl and gently toss the shrimp to ensure they are all coated with the marinade. Cover the bowl and put in the fridge to marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Assemble: Toss the pineapple and jalapeño with a Tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Then assemble your skewers! I put 2 peices of jalapeño, 3 peices of pineapple and 4 shrimp on each skewer which totaled 12 skewers (3 skewers per person). However, feel free to assemble your skewers however you like!
- Cook: These skewers can be cooked on the grill or on the stove in a grill pan. When using a grill pan, preheat the pan over medium heat. Place the skewers on the grill pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. When using an actual grill, the skewers will cook much faster (around 2 minutes per side). Shrimp are very delicate and become rubbery when cooked too long. Keep an eye on them!
- EAT: Serve the skewers immediately with Avocado Sauce and a squeeze of fresh lime (optional)!