Beet noodles aren't only beautiful and tasty but they are INCREDIBLY healthy and nutritious. The beet and goat cheese combo is one of my favorite combos of all time. They are a match made in heaven. The blueberries add a touch of tart sweetness while the mint is very subtle and refreshing. I added quinoa to make the meal more substantial and keep me full. The goat cheese is what brings everything together. While it is the least healthy ingredient in the dish, a very small amount makes a big impact and brings the rest of the ingredients together. Including a variety of different flavors, colors, textures and shapes are what make a healthy dish appealing and delicious versus boring and bland.
This is the spiralizer I use. It works well and doesn't break the bank. The different blade options are actually stored in the base of the spiralizer which is really nice because you don't have to keep track of a bunch of different pieces that just create more clutter.
Time Required: 15 minutes Level: Easy Serves: 2
- 2 large beets
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- small handful mint roughly chopped (16-20 leaves)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Cook Quinoa: Cook quinoa according to package instructions (or just used leftovers like I did). The proportions are usually 2 parts water to one part quinoa.
- Prep Beets: While the quinoa is cooking "clean" the beets. To do this cut off the greens and peel the beets with a peeler so they look like the picture below. Instead of throwing away the greens, toss them in the juicer and drink them instead! There are other ways to clean beets but I find other methods to be messy and result in my kitchen looking like a murder scene from the red beet juice.
- Spiralize: Spiralize the raw beets into beet noodles.
- Dressing: In a small bowl mix up the olive oil, lime juice, mint and a generous pinch of salt.
- Assemble: Once the quinoa is done cooking, season the quinoa with a pinch or salt and plate each plate with quinoa and beet noodles. Then top with blueberries and goat cheese. Feel free to garnish with any extra fresh mint if you are feeling extra minty.