I love creating and sharing unique and new recipes. However, I also think it is important to bring it back to the basics sometimes with simple and classic recipes like this Steak and Roasted Veggies. Simple food can be some of the tastiest!
Steak and Roasted Vegetables with Healthy Hollandaise
Serves: 2 people
- 2 steaks (4-6 oz. each)
- 12-16 spears of asparagus
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1.5 Tbsp. olive oil
- For the Healthy Hollandaise (serves 8):
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup non-fat or low fat buttermilk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tbps. butter cut into cubes
- 1 Tbps. lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp. Dijon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Steak & Roasted Vegetables Instructions:
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Prep Veggies: Cut the cauliflower into slices or florets (whichever you prefer). Trim an inch off the bottom of the asparagus spears. Use half of the olive oil to coat the cauliflower and asparagus. Season to taste with a few pinches of salt.
- Prep Steaks: Season the steaks with salt (or your favorite steak seasoning). Use the remaining olive oil to coat all sides of the steak.
- Cook Veggies: Put the cauliflower on a sheet pan and put it in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes, flip the the cauliflower and add the asparagus to the sheet pan. Put the sheet pan back in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Cook Steaks: While the cauliflower and asparagus are roasting in the oven, cook the steaks. Put a medium pan on the stove over high heat. Cook the steaks on each side for 1 minute to sear all sides and lock in the juices. Then reduce the heat to medium and cook to desired doneness.* Once the steaks are done cooking, remove them from the pan and let them rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Eat: Serve the steak, cauliflower and asparagus with the healthy hollandaise. Enjoy!
*There are so many variables when cooking a steak on the stove including type of pan, size of steak, level of heat, etc. which is why I haven't given exact cooking times. You can either use a thermometer or just cut into one of the steaks while its cooking to check doneness!
Healthy Hollandaise Instructions (serves 8):
- In a medium sauce pan over medium/low heat, whisk together the cornstarch and buttermilk until well combined and there are no lumps.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Add the egg yolks to the saucepan and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens (maybe 2-3 minutes). Be patient! It may seem like it isn't thickening at all but then all of a sudden it will thicken up perfectly!
- Once the mixture has thickened, reduce heat to low, add the cubed butter, lemon juice, dijon mustard (optional), salt, and pepper (optional), and whisk until butter has melted and all ingredients are well combined.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in a sealed container. To reheat microwave for 30 seconds at a time while mixing in between.
*TIP: If you think your sauce is a little too thick, simply add a little more milk. If it is too thin, let it cook a little longer or add a TINY bit more cornstarch. You're the chef and you call the shots!