This Taco Salad is hearty and full of fresh ingredients.
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 head purple cabbage
- 1 jalapeño
- 1/2 cup cilantro lightly packed
- 1 tsp. lime juice (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1 can black beans (16 oz)
- 1 can corn (16 oz)
- 1 lb. ground beef*
- 1 taco seasoning packet**
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 cups fresh spinach (8 handfuls)
- 1 avocado
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (optional)
- Prep Fresh Ingredients: Dice the tomatoes. Thinly slice the cabbage. The thinner the slices the better! Remove the seeds from the jalapeno and finely dice the jalapeno. Roughly chop the cilantro. Don’t worry about removing all the stems. It is time consuming and the stems taste just as good as the leaves.
- Combine Fresh Ingredients: Combine the tomatoes, cabbage, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a bowl. Set aside or store in the fridge until needed.
- Drain and Rinse: Drain and rinse the black beans and corn. Set aside.
- Cook Beef: Cook the ground beef in a skillet over medium to medium/high heat until cooked through. Add taco seasoning packet and 1/4 cup of water to the ground beef. Stir and cook for an addition 2 minutes.
- Mix: Reduce the heat to low. Add the black beans, corn and shredded cheddar cheese to the ground beef. Stir to combine and cook for 2-3 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Assemble: Assemble each plate with a couple handfuls of spinach and 3/4 cup of the beef/corn/black bean mixture. Top each plate with about a cup of the fresh ingredient mixture (tomatoes, cabbage, jalapeno, cilantro), 1/4 of an avocado and a couple tablespoons of Greek yogurt or sour cream. Enjoy!
* Feel free to substitute the ground beef with ground turkey or ground chicken.
**Either store-bought taco seasoning or homemade taco seasoning will work!