This beef and broccoli stir fry recipe is a healthy version of a takeout favorite.
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 lb. flank steak
- 4 cups broccoli (about 2 heads)
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. green onions (optional)
For the Sauce:
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1.5 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- Cook Rice: Cook rice according to package instructions. The ratio is generally 2 parts water to one part rice.
- Mix Sauce: Combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Stir with a fork until combined.
- Slice and Dice: Cut broccoli into small florets. Dispose of thick stems. Cut bell pepper into thin slices. Peel and mince garlic. Cut flank steak into very thin strips against the grain.
- Cook Beef: Put olive oil in plan over medium/high heat. Sprinkle 1-2 Tbsp. of cornstarch over the beef and toss with your hands to coat. Add the beef to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes while stirring. Add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Sauce & Broccoli: Add the broccoli and sauce to the beef. While stirring, cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until broccoli is tender and sauce has thickened.
- Serve & Enjoy: Serve over rice with fresh pepper slices. Top with sesame seeds (optional) and green onions (optional). Enjoy!