This Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup is everything you’d ever want in a soup recipe. The zesty toppings combined with the warm flavors is perfection.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock (low-sodium if possible)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5oz)
- 1 can of corn, drained and rinsed (14.5oz)
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 2 cups shredded chicken (1 lb. raw, see note 1)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Toppings (see note 2):
- Greek yogurt
- Shredded red cabbage + lime juice (see note 3)
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- lime wedges
- avocado (optional)
- Sauté Onion & Garlic: Add the olive oil and chopped onion to a large pot over medium heat. Cook for about 4-6 minutes or until the onions have softened. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add Flour & Spices: Add the whole wheat flour, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes while stirring. At this point the flour and seasonings will stick to the onion and garlic. The mixture should be very dry and fragrant.
- Add Chicken Stock: Slowly whisk in the chicken stock 1 cup at a time. Whisk well to avoid any lumps!
- Add Chicken & Veggies: Add the can of diced tomatoes, can of corn, jalapeño, and shredded chicken to the pot. Stir to combine. Then bring the soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add Cheese & Finish: Once the soup is done summering, turn off the heat. Add the cheese to the soup and stir until melted and well combined. Serve immediately and top with Greek yogurt, lime wedges, red cabbage + lime, fresh cilantro and avocado (optional). Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge.
Note 1: This recipe calls for shredded chicken. Simply coat 1 lb. of chicken breasts/filets (usually 2-3 pieces) with a little bit of olive oil and a couple sprinkles of salt. Cook the chicken in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then shred the cooked chicken with two forks. This can be done the day before making the soup to save time!
Note 2: Don’t skip the toppings! Although this chicken tortilla soup is darn good by itself, the toppings makes this recipe is an absolute home-run. The only topping I wouldn’t consider critical, is the avocado.
Note 3: Tossing the shredded cabbage in lime juice helps soften the cabbage a little and gives it a great flavor! You can do this a few days ahead of time and keep it in the fridge or right before serving.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 321
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 679
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 18
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 29
Keywords: healthy chicken tortilla soup