This Italian Sausage Apple Stuffing has the most delicious combination of sweet and savory flavors. As an added bonus this recipe can be made ahead of time!
For the Dried Bread Cubes:
- 1 lb. bread* (6–7 cups cubed)
- olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb. Italian Sausage
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 apples, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1–1 1/2 c raisins
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- dried bread cubes (from above)
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
To Make Dried Bread Cubes:
- Cut bread into 1/2″-1″ cubes. Spread cubes over cookie sheet in a single layer and toss with a Tablespoon of olive oil. Put the cookie sheet in a preheated oven at 300 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
To Make Stuffing:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of butter and the onion to a large skillet over medium to medium/high heat. Cook for a minute or two and then add the Italian sausage to the skillet. While stirring, cook until the sausage is no longer pink. Then add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30-60 seconds while stirring. Turn off the heat.
- Add the pecans, raisins, apples, dried bread cubes, thyme, salt and pepper to the sausage mixture. Stir until well combined and pour the stuffing mixture into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, chicken stock and melted butter until well combined and pour over stuffing mixture. If making this recipe ahead stop here! Cover the stuffing with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until 30 minutes before you are ready to bake it.**
- Cover the baking dish with foil and let the stuffing sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to soak up the chicken stock and various flavors. Then put the stuffing in the preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes uncovered.
*Pretty much any type of bread can be used for this recipe. I usually use a loaf of ciabatta bread but anything will work!
**If making this recipe ahead of time and refrigerating it, make sure to remove the stuffing from the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to baking it so it has a little time to come to room temperature.
- Category: Side
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 451
- Sugar: 18
- Sodium: 631
- Fat: 31
- Carbohydrates: 35
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 11
Keywords: stuffing, Italian Sausage Apple Stuffing