The amount of color in these Mediterranean Sweet Potato Nachos alone makes this dish a real crowd pleaser. This flavor makes them a favorite!
For the Sweet Potatoes*:
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp cajun seasoning
- olive oil
For the Toppings:
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced olives
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperocini peppers
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 cup red cabbage
For the Spicy Cajun Aioli**:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 3–4 cloves of garlic
- juice from 1/2 lemon (roughly 1 Tbsp)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. cajun seasoning
- Slice Sweet Potatoes: Slice the sweet potatoes into very thin slices to make your sweet potato chips. You can use a knife, a mandolin or a food processor with a slicing attachment to do this. Those tools can be real time savers!
- Coat Sweet Potatoes: Coat the sweet potato slices with olive oil and 1 Tbsp of Cajun seasoning. I usually do this directly on my cutting board to avoid dirtying up another dish but tossing the sliced sweet potatoes in a large bowl to coat them is a less messy approach!
- Bake Sweet Potatoes: Lay the sweet potato slices in a single layer on cookie sheets and bake in a 425 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes, flipping them over halfway through. Keep an eye on them because they may require more or less time depending on how thin your slices are!
- Prep the Toppings: Dice the tomato, cucumber and bell pepper into. Cut the olives and pepperocinis into slices (or just buy them pre-sliced like I did!). Next I put the red cabbage and red onion into my mini food processor and pulsed it a few times because I wanted to save myself a little time. However, chopping the cabbage and red onion by hand will work too! Set all toppings aside.
- Make Sauce: Mince the garlic cloves. Then mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl until combined. You can make this sauce ahead of time and keep it in the fridge! It actually tastes better with time because all the ingredients really blend together. Set sauce aside.
- Assemble: Once the sweet potato chips are done cooking (the should be slightly golden on the edges and have an almost bubbled or dried appearance on the surface) remove them from the oven and put them on a large serving platter. Then top the sweet potatoes with all the toppings and a drizzle of the Spicy Cajun Aioli. There will probably be leftover sauce unless you like your nachos REALLY saucy!
Read this recipe all the way through first! It will save you time.
*If you want to simplify this recipe even more, buy sweet potato chips instead of making your own! If you buy sweet potato chips, you can skip steps 1-3.
**This is a large batch of the sauce. So, you may have leftovers! It is a delicious spread on sandwiches and dip for French fries!
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mediterranean, nachos,