Make the best steak you’ve ever eaten with this foolproof Sous Vide Steak recipe. It is incredibly easy and gives you perfectly cooked restaurant quality results every single time. After your first bite of deliciously tender steak, you won’t want to make it any other way.
- 16 oz. steak at least 1″ thick (see note 1)
- Your favorite steak seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- Prep Steak – Generously season all sides of your steak with your favorite steak seasoning and put it in a gallon ziplock baggie (see note 2).
- Remove Air From Baggie – To remove as much air as possible, slowly lower the baggie into the large container or pot full of water until completely submerged EXCEPT for the top inch or so of the baggie. Then seal the baggie shut. Clip the baggie to the side of the container to keep the steak upright in the container.
- Attach Sous Vide & Lid – Attach the sous vide to the container of water. Put the lid on the container.
- Set Temperature – Set the temperature on the sous vide to your desired doneness. For medium rare set it to 129°F-131°F (see note 3).
- Let It Do Its Magic – Set the timer and let the sous vide do its magic! For a steak that is 1″ thick it will be medium rare in about 1 hour and 15-30 minutes at 130°F (see note 3).
- Sear Steak – Once the steak is done cooking, sear it in a smoking hot skillet with a little canola or vegetable oil to give it a nice crust. This should only take a minute or so on each side.
- Enjoy – No need to let your sous vide steak rest. Feel free to eat your deliciously tender steak immediately.
Note 1 – For best results choose cuts of steak that are 1″-2″+ thick.
Note 2 – You can either vacuum seal your steak or put it in a gallon ziplock baggie. Skip step 2 if going the vacuum seal route. If using a ziplock baggie, do not seal it yet and go to step 2.
Note 3 – See the chart above the recipe for other cooking temperatures, times and doneness. Also, whether you want to preheat the sous vide/water bath before putting the steak in it is entirely up to you. I’ve done both and didn’t notice a difference in cooking times.
Nutrition Note – The nutrition information does not include seasoning.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sous Vide
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 8 ounces
- Calories: 336
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 125
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 50
Keywords: sous vide steak