This quick and easy Spicy Tofu Taco recipe has crispy tofu, creamy avocado, fresh salsa and zesty sauce wrapped in a warm tortilla.
For the crispy tofu:
- 1 package extra firm tofu (14 oz)
- 3–4 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Oil for frying (see note 1)
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 1/2 tsp. lime juice (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp. milk or water (optional)
For the tacos:
- 1 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz. can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice (optional)
- 1 avocado, cubed or sliced
- 12–16 small corn tortillas
- lime wedges
For the Crispy Tofu:
- Cut Tofu: Drain the tofu and pat dry with paper towels for easier handling. Cut the tofu into 1/2″ cubes.
- Dry & Press Tofu: Put the tofu cubes between layers of folded paper towels (at least 4 layers on top and under tofu). Then put a heavy pan (or something similar) on top of the tofu to press it for at least 5 minutes.
- Heat Pan & Coat Tofu: Generously coat the bottom of a large pan with oil and put it over medium/high heat (see note 2). Pat down the tofu one last time with a paper towel. Put the tofu and cornstarch in a Ziploc baggie. Seal the baggie and gently shake to coat the tofu (see note 3).
- Fry Tofu: Put the tofu in the hot oil. It should sizzle right away. Don’t overcrowd the pan. Fry in batches if needed. Fry for about 4-6 minutes or until slightly golden brown while flipping the cubes every couple minutes with a spatula to ensure all sides become crispy. Remove the tofu from the pan and place on paper towels to remove excess oil. Use in tacos immediately.
For the Tacos:
- Make Sauce: Stir together all sauce ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- Make Salsa: In a medium/large bowl, combine the black beans, corn, bell pepper, jalapeño, salt and lime juice (optional). Set aside.
- Assemble: Put crispy tofu cubes, the sauce, a spoonful or two of salsa and a couple slices of avocado in a tortilla. Serve with lime wedges and a sprinkle of cilantro (optional). Enjoy!
Note 1: Use oil with a high smoke point such as vegetable oil, canola oil or coconut oil.
Note 2: It is important to heat the oil before coating the tofu because you want to fry the tofu immediately after you coat it with the cornstarch.
Note 3: If you do not have a baggie, put the tofu and cornstarch in a bowl and gently toss with your hands to coat.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 taco
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 293
- Fat: 4
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 7
Keywords: tofu tacos, crispy tofu