This Veggie Loaded White Chicken Lasagna recipe is packed with healthy ingredients and layered with the most delicious white sauce.
- 2 cups frozen peas (thawed)
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups ricotta cheese (one container)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 9 oz No-boil lasagna noodles*
- 2 cups shredded chicken**
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Blend: Put all filling ingredients in a food processor and blend until well combined. Blend less for a chunkier filling. Blend more for a smoother filling.
Sauce Instructions (makes 4 cups of sauce):
- Prep Veggies: Peal and dice the onion. Peal and mince the garlic or use a garlic press to save time.
- Cook Onion: Put the butter and onion in a large deep pan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and becomes translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add Garlic: Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30-60 seconds. It will smell divine!
- Add Flour: Add the flour to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes. The flour will stick to the onion and garlic and appear sticky/pasty.
- Add Milk: Switch to a whisk if you aren’t using one already. Add the milk about one cup at a time while whisking until all the milk has been added.
- Thicken Sauce: Bump up the heat to medium/high for about 5-7 minutes. Be sure to whisk the sauce every minute or so. The goal is to heat up the sauce enough to see a little movement with a few bubbles. You will know the sauce is done when you can draw a line through the sauce on the back of a wooden spoon (see how-to video about at 45 seconds).
- Add Remaining: Remove the sauce from the heat and add the cream cheese, salt, pepper and lemon juice to the sauce. Stir until the cream cheese has melted.
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Assemble: Spread a thin layer of the sauce in the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. Add a layer of lasagna noodles, filling, shredded chicken, sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat with two more layers. Top off the lasagna with a final later of lasagna noodles and the remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Cook: Put the lasagna in a 350 degree preheated oven for 45 minutes covered + an additional 10 minutes uncovered (55 minutes total).
*No-boil lasagne noodles can be found in the same aisle as normal dried lasagne noodles. Look for packaging that says “no-boil” or “oven-ready”. These noodles do not need to be pre-boiled and can be used in the recipe as is. If you do not have no-boil lasagna noodles, normal lasagna noodles will work just fine! Simply cook them according to package instructions prior to using them in Step 2 of Assembly Instructions.
**About a 1 lb. package of boneless skinless chicken breasts makes about 2 cups of shredded chicken.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 345
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 682
- Fat: 12
- Carbohydrates: 30
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 27
Keywords: Healthy White Chicken Lasagna, Chicken lasagna recipe, Lasagna white sauce, How to make chicken lasagna