Whenever I have apples I need to use up and am craving something sweet, this 5-minute cinnamon apple ice cream topping drizzled over a little vanilla ice cream in my go-to.
- When I Use This Recipe: I came up with the recipe late at night on a random weekday when I was craving something sweet and wanted to use up my apples. So, that is exactly how I’ve use this recipe ever since; on a whim. Since it only requires four common ingredients and five minutes, I don’t need to plan ahead. It’s a good one to keep in your back pocket for when you’re craving something sweet.
- How to Choose the Best Apples: Since this recipe is so quick and easy, I generally don’t plan ahead and buy specific apples. So, I use whatever kind of apples I have at home. If you’re looking for a specific recommendation, Braeburn apples and Fuji apples are good options because they are on the sweeter side. I generally don’t use Granny Smith apples (the bright green ones) because they are fairly tart. However, if tart is your game, you do you!
- How Much Sweetness: This recipe calls for 1 – 1 1/2 Tbsp. of honey. Personally, I use 1 Tbsp. because the rich buttery cinnamon apple topping combined with sweet vanilla ice cream is like heaven on earth. However, if you have a mega sweet tooth, go ahead and use 1 1/2 Tbsp. of honey! Either way, you won’t be disappointed to be honest.
- Which Flavor Ice Cream: I recommend eating this recipe with good old fashioned vanilla. The flavors work so well together. This dessert looks and tastes like fall which I love.
- A Lighter Ice Cream Option: Halo Top Ice Cream in the flavor Vanilla Bean is what I use with this recipe. It is much lower in calories and sugar but tastes the same as any other ice cream brand. You can pick it up at most grocery stores and many convenience stores. I highly recommend it.
- How to Store Leftovers: This recipe actually stores and reheats quite well. So, if you have leftovers just pop em in the fridge (in a sealed container) for later!
Other Recipes to Incorporate More Fruit
Dessert and baked goods are usually what come to mind when most people think of recipes that include fruit. I’m always happy to eat dessert and bakery items but fruit can be used in so many other ways. You could include fruit in every meal, snack and beverage of the day if you felt like it.
You could have apple raisin oatmeal for breakfast, a melon ball salad for lunch and pineapple shrimp skewers for dinner! If you’re hungry for a snack, my loaded guac as a bunch of fruit in it. Thirsty for something more… adult? A batch of fresh strawberry basil margaritas will do the trick!
5-Minute Cinnamon Apple Ice Cream Topping
- 1 large apple
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, (see note 1)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- vanilla ice cream
- Cut Apple: Cut the apple into small cubes. Discard the core and seeds.
- Cook Topping: In a medium pan over medium to medium/high heat, melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the cubed apple, honey, cinnamon and pinch of salt to the pan. Stir until all ingredients are well combined. Stirring occasionally, cook for 3-4 minutes or until the apples have softened slightly.
- Enjoy: Let the topping cool for a couple minutes. Then, serve over vanilla ice cream and enjoy!