Dried Apricot Pistachio Toast
This Dried Apricot Pistachio Toast recipe starts with a spread of creamy slightly sweet mascarpone (Italian cream cheese). The toast is then topped with dried apricots, crunchy pistachios and a drizzle of honey. Talk about gourmet breakfast in under 5 minutes!
It’s Toast Week!
Today marks Day 1 of our Toast Week Series! Everyday, we’ll be posting a new toast recipe that can be made in 5 minutes or less with only a handful of easy ingredients.
Toast Week is dedicated to my awesome, hilarious and outrageously inappropriate little sister, Taylor. She’s the genius behind Toast Week.
A few months ago I asked her what kind of food she wanted to see on Zested Lemon. She responded with ‘toast‘. Despite her standard dry tone with a side of sarcasm, I knew she was serious. It must be a sister thing.
Boom! Toast Week was born!
All week long we’ll be posting a variety of different breakfast toast recipes. Best of all, each recipes takes 5 minutes or less to throw together… because Taylor likes toast but only if it is really quick and easy.
About This Recipe
To kick off Toast Week, we’re starting with this Dried Apricot Pistachio Toast recipe.
I love this breakfast toast recipe because it has all the flavors and textures of a fancy appetizer with the convenience and ease of a piece of toast. It is the best of both worlds, really!
In fact, this toast recipe was inspired by an appetizer I occasionally make for parties where I stuff dried apricots with mascarpone, pistachios and honey. They are the cutest little finger food appetizers. Perfectly sweet, creamy, crunchy and beautiful! Perhaps I will write this recipe down and post it! Anyway, I took all the elements of that appetizer and put it on toast.
Dried apricots are natures fruit snacks. They taste like candy! Those chewy little jewels combined with luxuriously creamy mascarpone cheese is my favorite thing about this recipe. That and the fact I can make this toast for breakfast in 3 minutes… 90 seconds if I’m really trying to race the clock.
What is mascarpone cheese?
Mascarpone is Italian cream cheese. It is spreadable and used in a variety dishes such as pastas, dessert, dips, appetizers, etc.
What does mascarpone cheese taste like?
Mascarpone is very smooth and creamy in texture. It is often compared to cream cheese but isn’t as tart as cream cheese. The flavor is milder and slightly sweet.
Where can I find mascarpone cheese?
You can pickup mascarpone cheese at almost any grocery store. It is usually in the deli section or “fancy cheese” section (all you cheese lovers out there know what I’m talking about) by other fancy cheeses like goat cheese, fresh mozzarella and wedges of parmesan.
What to do with dried apricots?
Make this awesome toast recipe! However, I know it can be frustrating to buy an ingredient for the purpose of one recipe and having leftover ingredients you don’t know what to do with! So, here are a few ways to use dried apricots if you have any leftover.
- Dip them in melted dark chocolate and pop them in the fridge until the chocolate has hardened. Two ingredient healthy dessert!
- Chop them up and fold them into ice cream.
- Put them on salads for a little chewy sweetness.
- Eat them alone for a sweet snack.
- Use them as toppings for oatmeal or cereal.
- Make your own trail mix and use dried apricots instead of or in addition to raisins.
Other Make Ahead Breakfast Ideas
- Lemon Poppy Seed Overnight Oats
- Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
- Tomato Spinach & Goat Cheese Crustless Quiche
How to Make Dried Apricot Pistachio Toast
Dried Apricot Pistachio Toast
- 1 slice bread
- 1 Tbsp. mascarpone cheese, Italian cream cheese
- 3-4 dried apricots
- drizzle of honey
- 1 Tbsp. shelled pistachios
- Prep Ingredients: Toast the bread. Roughly chop the pistachios (optional). Cut dried apricots into pieces or thin slices.
- Assemble: Spread mascarpone cheese on toasted bread. Top with dried apricots, pistachio and a drizzle of honey. Time to eat!