I'm pretty confident when I say I am the exact opposite of a morning person. I envy those who naturally wake up at the crack of dawn ready to take on the day. I fantasize about having a calm and quiet morning where I can actually sit down to enjoy my breakfast. Instead I'm usually awoken by my sixth alarm (because I slept through the first five) with sheer panic pulsing through my veins because I'm at risk of being late to work. This is followed by me sprinting (literally) throughout the house to quickly let the dogs out, slap on a little makeup, get dressed and grab something to eat... because food.
Needless to say, I need something fast in the mornings... REALLY fast. Like 'put something in my hand as I run out the front door with one shoe on' fast. I chuckle when I see Quick Breakfast Ideas or 5 Minute Breakfasts because they are NEVER as quick as I need them to be! Then I always get the 'just wake up 15 minutes earlier' speech from people who clearly don't understand that their proposed strategy just does not work. I have zero control over when my body decides it wants to acknowledge my alarm and wake up. Even when I do wake up, it is physically painful to drag myself out of bed. Does anyone else share my struggle? Because the struggle is REAL!
Anyway, here is where my smoothies come into the picture as the perfect solution to my morning breakfast needs as I scurry off to work! There are a few reasons why this smoothie is different and quicker than others.
1) It requires three ingredients. Yes, only three and they are EASY ingredients that you are likely to have on hand.
2) This smoothie does not separate at all. I had some leftover in the fridge all day until my husband found it and obviously downed it in like 2 seconds.
3) You can actually dump all the ingredients into a blender or blender cup (like I use) the night before. So, when the morning rush is in full force, all you have to do it pull it out of the fridge blend it for 15 seconds and breakfast is served. Now that is a fast breakfast.
I LOVE this blender because it is compact and comes with a variety of different containers (the blades screw on to them all!) to accommodate all my blending needs! I use the tall blending cup for my smoothies because I can blend the smoothie and drink it from the same container. Less dishes! Score!
This particular recipe is somewhere between a juice and a super thick smoothie you might get from Starbucks or Jamba Juice. You could add ice to it to thicken it up if you want but I actually prefer it to be a little thinner because 1) I don't have to burst a blood vessel trying to suck it through the straw, 2) the flavor doesn't get diluted and 3) ice can be really hard on your blender... and I LOVE my blender. So, I like to be kind to it. :)
Time Required: 3 minutes Level: Easy Serves: 1
- 10 strawberries
- 2 Tbls hazelnut spread (Nutella)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Cut the stems off of the strawberries.
- Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately or refrigerate to enjoy later!
I don't have every crazy kitchen gadget out there. I really try to only get the ones I use regularly. Well this is definitely one of them. My mother gave me this little guy a couple years ago (thanks mom!) and I LOVE IT! It's a strawberry huller and removes the stem of the strawberry with no waste! I always get the most out of my strawberries AND it is way quicker than cutting the stems off with a knife. I have several other uses for this thing as well but I'll post that on my favorite things shortly.