You only need a handful of ingredients and 20 minutes to make a batch of these delicious Shrimp Taco Wonton Cups. This recipe is a great way to impress your friends at your next gathering!
About This Recipe
Flavor – The shrimp are coated in a delicious spice rub making them very flavorful. Next comes the crunchy and zesty cabbage followed by creamy avocado. All this goodness is put into a crispy wonton cup. Every bite is crispy, crunchy, creamy, zesty, rich and OH SO SATISFYING.
Quick Overview – This recipe is really quite simple. You start with making the wonton cups which is as easy as putting wonton wrappers in a muffin tin and popping them in the oven for 6-8 minutes. Next you toss the shrimp in the spice rub and cook them in a large skillet on the stove. Last, is assembly! Cup + smashed avocado + shredded cabbage + lime + shrimp and you’re done!
Uses – This recipe is great for parties and gatherings. It is delicious, looks impressive and doesn’t take long to put together. As an added bonus the little cups make it super easy to grab one and go!
Although this is a great party recipe, I make them at home for dinner or a snack fairly often because I like them so much.
Where to buy wonton wrappers?
Wonton wrappers can be found is almost any grocery store. Generally, I find them in the refrigerated produce section of the grocery store. Both round and square wrappers work well for this recipe.
Can wonton cups be made ahead?
Just the cups (Step 1 of the recipe) can be made the day before and stored in a sealed container or Ziplock baggie. The cooking of the shrimp and assembly of the cups (Steps 2-4 of the recipe) should be done right before serving to keep the cups from getting soggy.
Can I use mini-muffin tins instead of standard-muffin tins to make the wonton cups?
You sure can! Just double the number of wonton wrappers, cut the shrimp in half (or get smaller shrimp) and follow the recipe as is!
How to Make Wonton Cups in Less Than 10 Minutes
Can you use frozen shrimp for this recipe?
Absolutely! I actually use frozen shrimp most of the time because it is convenient. Just thaw the shrimp and pat them dry before using them in the recipe.
What does peeled and deveined shrimp mean?
As a disclaimer I would say more often than not shrimp come peeled and deveined. So, you likely won’t have to worry about this but here’s a little info.
Peeling shrimp simply means to remove its outer shell. Deveining means to remove the dark string that runs down the back of the shrimp. This dark string is the digestive tract of the shrimp. It isn’t harmful to humans but most people prefer to have it removed.
What size shrimp to get?
For one shrimp per wonton cup, you will want to get medium to medium/large shrimp. Look for packages that say 41/50 or 36/40. This means there will be 41-50 shrimp per pound or 36-40 shrimp per pound.
If these sizes aren’t available, don’t sweat it. A couple of small shrimp or half a large shrimp per cup will work just fine!
Other Recipes For a Party
Impress your friends at your next gathering with a batch of these delicious Shrimp Taco Wonton Cups. You only need a handful of ingredients and 20 minutes!
Wonton Cup Ingredients:
- 24 wonton wrappers
- cooking spray*
- 24 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (1/2 lb. 41/50 shrimp)**
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- olive oil
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly shredded
- juice of 1/2 lime (1 Tbsp.)
- 3 avocados
- pinch of salt
- lime wedges (optional garnish)
- chipotle aioli (optional sauce)
- Make Cups: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 12-cup standard-muffin tins with cooking spray. Gently press a wonton wrapper into each of the muffin tins (see how to make wonton cups here). Once in the muffin tins, spray the wonton wrappers with cooking spray. Put in the preheated oven for 6-8 minutes or until they’re slightly golden brown. Let cool and serve immediately or store in a sealed baggie.
- Cook Shrimp: Toss the shrimp with the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and salt until they are well coated. Heat 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shrimp to the hot pan (they should sizzle!) and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Prep Ingredients: Toss the shredded red cabbage in the lime juice and set aside. In a small bowl, smash the avocados with a pinch of salt and set aside.
- Assemble: Evenly distribute the smashed avocado and shredded cabbage into each wonton cup. Top each cup with a shrimp. Serve immediately with lime wedges (optional) and chipotle aioli (optional).
*If you don’t have cooking spray, a very thin/light coating of olive oil will do the trick!
**For one shrimp per wonton cup you will want to get medium to medium/large shrimp. Look for packages that say 41/50 or 36/40. This means there will be 41-50 shrimp per pound or 36-40 shrimp per pound.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 wonton cup
- Calories: 74
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 166
- Fat: 4
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 2
Keywords: wonton cups, shrimp taco