Crispy bread, spicy chicken, tangy fresh toppings and creamy avocado make this Buffalo Chicken Sandwich a keeper! Enjoy comfort food without sacrificing your healthy and eating goals.
Portion control is tricky because our brains have been taught over a long period of time that super-sized portions are normal and we will only be satisfied with more food than our bodies need. So, basically we need to satisfy our brains by making healthy portions of food look larger than they are. This recipe uses a couple different portion control strategies.
1) Volume: When comparing shredded chicken with a chicken breast, shredded chicken appears to be a much larger portion of food despite being the same exact amount of chicken.
2) Surface Area: An open-face sandwich naturally looks to be more food than a normal sandwich because it takes up more surface area on the plate. Also, you can stack the veggies real high on open-face sandwiches!
Best Leftovers Ever
Leftover buffalo chicken is the best! Below are a couple lunches I packed up with leftovers of this recipe. So easy. So tasty. What more could you want?
Here's an idea! Make a double batch of the buffalo chicken and use half of it to make Healthy Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Dip!
Open-Face Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
Crispy bread, spicy chicken, tangy fresh toppings and creamy avocado make this Buffalo Chicken Sandwich a keeper!
- 1-1 1/2 lb chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups buffalo sauce (one 12 oz. bottle)
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 head red cabbage (about 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced)
- 1/2 jalapeño
- 1/4 cup cilantro lightly packed
- 1/2-1 tsp. lime juice
- couple pinches of salt
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- ranch dressing** (optional)
- Cook Chicken: Place the chicken and buffalo sauce in a slow cooker on low for 4 hour if thawed or 6-7 hours if frozen. *
- Shred Chicken: Once the chicken is done cooking, remove it from the slow cooker, shred it with two forks and return the chicken to the slow cooker for an additional hour. NOTE: Steps 1 and 2 can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge. It reheats wonderfully. *
- Prep Fresh Ingredients: Dice the tomatoes. Thinly slice the cabbage. The thinner the slices the better! Remove the seeds from the jalapeño and finely dice the jalapeño. Roughly chop the cilantro. Combine the tomatoes, cabbage, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a bowl. Set aside or store in the fridge until needed.
- Toast & Avocado: Immediately before serving, toast the bread (if desired) and cut up the avocado into slices or cubes.
- Assemble: Assemble each plate/meal with two pieces of bread topped with buffalo chicken, avocado, the tomato/cabbage/jalapeno/cilantro mixture and a drizzle of ranch dressing (optional).
* Shorter Cooking Method: Bake chicken in a casserole dish in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the casserole dish and shred it with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the casserole dish, cover with the buffalo sauce and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Enjoy!
*Shortest Cooking Method: Buy pre-shredded chicken. In a microwave safe bowl combine the shredded chicken with the buffalo sauce. Microwave in 30 second intervals (stirring in between) until the chicken is heated through. Enjoy!
** Ranch Tip: Ranch can often be very thick which makes it easy to pour too much over the sandwich. To avoid this whisk the ranch dressing with a splash or two of water to thin it out. Then you will be able to enjoy just the right amount of ranch flavor over the entire sandwich!