The best aroma comes from slow roasted tomatoes.
I kid you not, the smell that fills the house when these little cuties are roasting is absolutely divine. In fact, right after I pop the tomatoes in the oven, I normally go work in my office with the door shut for about 20 minutes just so I can go back to the kitchen 20 minutes later, stand there with my eyes closed and breathe in the intoxicatingly good aroma. It smells that good.
Each tomato is slightly chewy on the outside but still juicy on the inside making this recipe my newest favorite snack. Slow roasting the tomatoes breaks down the sugars and allows them to caramelize making them even sweeter but still savory all at the same time. There is a hint of roasted garlic with every bite and the fragrance of the thyme and oregano is to die for.
Ways to Use Slow Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
These tasty little guys can be added to so many recipes and meals for extra flavor and texture. The options are truly endless! Here are a few ideas to get you started!
- Use these roasted tomatoes in a sandwich or wrap with turkey, spinach and your favorite spread/condiment for a quick and healthy lunch.
- Add them to omelets, eggs or breakfast hash.
- They bring color, texture and an extra burst of flavor to salads.
- These little guys also make excellent pizza toppings!
- Eat them alone as a snack immediately after they are finished roasting while standing over the oven and slightly burning your fingertips as you frantically grab for each little delicious gem… Oh, wait. That might just be me!
How to roast tomatoes quicker if you are short on time: Even though this recipe only requires 5 minutes of actual prep, finding 2-3 hours to be home while the tomatoes roast can be challenging with busy schedules. I get it. Life is pure and utter chaos most of the time but I have good news! You can roast cherry tomatoes in 20-25 minutes if you bump up your oven to 400°F! They aren’t quite as sweet and chewy when roasted faster at higher temperature but they are still hella good. I actually just made some like this a few days ago because I simply couldn’t wait 2-3 hours to eat them. #roastedtomatoesarelikecrack.
How to ensure the easiest cleanup: Also, an added bonus to this recipe is easy cleanup! The instructions have you combine all the ingredients directly on the sheet pan because why messy up a bowl only to clean it if you don’t have to? Less dishes = happiness. TIP: Line your sheet pan with foil to make cleanup even faster (I mean like 30 seconds fast). Now that is good and easy cooking!
How to store slow roasted tomatoes: Let cool entirely and store them in a sealed container in the fridge.
Equipment and Tools
Roasted cherry tomatoes are simple, healthy and addictively good.
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 6–8 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano (optional)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme (optional)
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 230°F.*
- Prep Ingredients: Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place on a sheet pan along with the unpeeled cloves of garlic.
- Toss: Drizzle the tomatoes and garlic with the olive and sprinkle with the salt, black pepper, oregano (optional) and thyme (optional). Then gently toss the tomatoes and garlic with your hands to coat them evenly with the olive oil and seasonings.
- Roast: Spread out the tomatoes and garlic cloves into a single layer on the sheet pan. Place them in the preheated oven for 2-3 hours or until shriveled but not entirely dried out. My most recent batch took about 2 hours and 20 minutes but the overall time depends on the water content of the tomatoes and personal preference of doneness.*
- Enjoy: Remove the tomatoes from the oven once they are done cooking. Enjoy them immediately, use them in a recipe (ideas above) or store them in the fridge in a sealed container once cooled for future use.
*Short on time or want your roasted cherry tomatoes done faster? Preheat your oven to 400°F and roast the tomatoes for 20-25 minutes.