This delicious Blueberry Coconut Oatmeal recipe is made in the slow cooker with healthy ingredients like steel cut oats, coconut milk and blueberries. I love it because it is easy and healthy!
What is the difference between steel cut oats and rolled oats?
- Processing: Steel cut oats are minimally processed while rolled oats (or old fashioned oats) have a higher level of processing with the purpose of reducing the amount of time rolled oats take to cook.
- Cook Time: As mentioned above rolled oats take less time to cook than steel cut oats.
- Texture: Steel cut oats have a hearty and slightly chewy texture while rolled oats tend to be softer.
What is the steel cut oats to liquid ratio?
Generally, 1 cup of steel cut oats requires 3-4 cups of liquid.
Is it better to make oatmeal with milk or water?
It is entirely based on personal preference. Milk tends to make a thicker, creamier and more flavorful oatmeal than water. Any variety of milk can be used to make oatmeal whether it be cow’s milk, almond milk, rice milk, etc. This recipe uses almond milk which is what I usually use when making oatmeal at home.
How to make oatmeal in the slow cooker?
I love making oatmeal in my slow cooker because it is so darn easy. Just dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Give it a quick stir and then let the slow cooker do its magic. If possible, give the oatmeal a stir every couple hours or so to keep it from sticking.
Can you make oatmeal ahead of time and reheat?
Heck yes! That is one of the main reasons I love this recipe. I just whip up a batch of this stuff and eat it throughout the week. Reheat it in the microwave in 30 second intervals until you’ve reached your desired temperature. If the oatmeal appears to be a little sticky or too thick just stir in a splash of milk.
Oatmeal Topping Ideas
This recipe uses blueberries, shredded coconut and sliced almonds as toppings but there are so many other options to choose from. Here are a few that would go great with the creamy coconut flavor in this recipe.
- all the berries
- dried cranberries
- sunflower seeds
- chia seeds
- crisped rice
Add Other Extras
- dash of cinnamon
- drizzle of honey
- peanut butter
- chocolate chips
- raspberry preserves
Other Healthy Breakfast Ideas
A few of my personal favorites include Carrot Cake Muffins, Southwest Egg Cups and Blueberry Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding. They are all healthy, delicious and can be made ahead of time. Perfect for meal prep and busy weeks!
This delicious Blueberry Coconut Oatmeal recipe is made in the slow cooker with healthy ingredients like steel cut oats, coconut milk and blueberries. I love it because it is easy and healthy.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups almond milk
- 1 can coconut milk (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1–2 cups blueberries
- Shredded coconut (optional)
- Sliced almonds (optional)
- Combine: Combine the Oatmeal Ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook: Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. Stir every couple hours or so.
- Add Toppings: Serve immediately and top with fresh blueberries, shredded coconut and sliced almonds
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 389
- Sugar: 17
- Sodium: 440
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 53
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 9
Keywords: blueberry coconut oatmeal, slow cooker oatmeal, steel cut oats