Healthy Southwest Egg Cups
This Healthy Southwest Egg Cup recipe is easy to make, packed with colorful vegetables and topped off with a little cream cheese. Perfect for a tasty breakfast on the go!
How long are egg cups good for?
They are good for 4-7 days. Make sure to keep them in a sealed container in the fridge. I use my favorite rectangular deli containers because they are easy to stack and keep organized.
How do you reheat egg cups?
Just pop these bad boys in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Breakfast served at record speed! If you notice a little liquid in the bottom of the container, don’t worry! It is totally normal for eggs to release a little moisture. Just blot the egg cup with a paper towel.
Do egg cups freeze well?
Yes! Make sure the egg cups have cooled completely before putting them in sealed containers or baggies and freezing them. If you want to go the Ziplock baggie route, wrap each egg cup individually with plastic wrap. Otherwise the egg cups may freeze together!
How do you reheat frozen egg cups?
Put them in the fridge until they’ve thawed. Then microwave them for 30 seconds or until warm!
Can you eat egg cups cold?
You sure can! I can’t say I’m personally a huge fan of cold egg cups but if that’s what tickles your fancy, you do you!
Below are a few other breakfast recipes perfect for busy mornings!
- Avocado Egg Salad Breakfast Toast
- Make-Ahead Blueberry Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding
- Make-Ahead Apple Raisin Oatmeal
How to Make Healthy Southwest Egg Cups
Healthy Southwest Egg Cups
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 cup corn, (see note 1)
- 4 oz. plain cream cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- cilantro for garnish, optional
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- Prep Vegetables: Drain and rinse the corn (if using canned). Chop the bell pepper into small pieces. Cut the jalapeño into thin rings and remove the seeds. Combine the corn, bell pepper and jalapeño in a small bowl. Then evenly distribute the vegetables amongst the muffin pan.
- Add Cream Cheese: Break up the cream cheese into smaller pieces, about the side of a blueberry, and evenly distribute amongst the muffin pan (see note 2). There are usually 3-4 small pieces of cream cheese in each muffin.
- Prep Egg Mixture: Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and black pepper until well combined. Pour the egg mixture into the muffin pan and distribute evenly (see note 3).
- Bake: Put the egg cups in the preheated oven for 23-25 minutes or until cooked through. They are done if you can stick a toothpick in the center egg cup and the toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool & Enjoy: Let the egg cups cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy immediately or store in a sealed container in the fridge to eat later!
I love these! I would be able to fit these into my diet perfectly and still enjoy delicious flavors to start the day.
What a perfect breakfast prep!!! I’m loving this idea! A make ahead breakfast is exactly what I need! Printing this recipe now!
I always need breakfast I can make ahead because I’m not exactly a morning person. 🙂 Enjoy!
I love this idea for a quick and easy breakfast
Egg cups are such a great go-to breakfast, but this awesome southwestern flavor profile totally makes them next level!! And I love the corn – never thought to include that in my eggs before but it’s such a good idea!
Thanks, Monica! I love the corn too. Just adds somethings a little different.
These egg cups are not only adorable but so healthy and perfect family breakfast. I’m saving this recipe to give it a try. I love the addition of corn.
Thanks, Natalie! I hope you and your family enjoy them!
I’m lucky enough to work from home, so I don’t have to worry about grab-and-go breakfasts, but this would still make my mornings easier and faster – and leave more time for enjoying my coffee if I don’t have to prep a whole meal. Delicious!
I’m always on board for more coffee time! Enjoy!
What a great meal prep breakfast idea! Definitely pinning this one for later!
Thanks, Kylie! Hope you like it!
I am always wanting to make this for a quick and easy breakfast idea, but always forget to prep it during the weekend. I really need to try this sometime!
Give it a go! I hope you like them!
They look so vibrant and so tasty! Love easy and healthy recipes like this, and so good to hear they can be frozen too!
Yum! I am always looking for more ways for grab and go breakfast. I love how beautiful they are with their many colours, can’t wait to give them a try!
Thanks, Aleta! I love colorful foods. It just makes me want to eat them that much more! Enjoy!
I love make-ahead breakfasts like these egg cups…especially when I have to head out to work early! Love the southwest flavor in these too!
Make-ahead is the best for early mornings! Cheers!
These egg cups look scrumptious! I love that they are healthy, freeze well and stay fresh in the refrigerator. My hubby is always looking for an easy grab and go breakfast option and this fits the bill. Can’t wait to make it!
Thanks, Elaine! Hope you enjoy them!