This Healthy Southwest Egg Cup recipe is easy to make, packed with colorful vegetables and topped off with a little cream cheese. Perfect for a tasty breakfast on the go!
How long are egg cups good for?
They are good for 4-7 days. Make sure to keep them in a sealed container in the fridge. I use my favorite rectangular deli containers because they are easy to stack and keep organized.
How do you reheat egg cups?
Just pop these bad boys in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Breakfast served at record speed! If you notice a little liquid in the bottom of the container, don’t worry! It is totally normal for eggs to release a little moisture. Just blot the egg cup with a paper towel.
Do egg cups freeze well?
Yes! Make sure the egg cups have cooled completely before putting them in sealed containers or baggies and freezing them. If you want to go the Ziplock baggie route, wrap each egg cup individually with plastic wrap. Otherwise the egg cups may freeze together!
How do you reheat frozen egg cups?
Put them in the fridge until they’ve thawed. Then microwave them for 30 seconds or until warm!
Can you eat egg cups cold?
You sure can! I can’t say I’m personally a huge fan of cold egg cups but if that’s what tickles your fancy, you do you!
Below are a few other breakfast recipes perfect for busy mornings!
How to Make Healthy Southwest Egg Cups
Healthy Southwest Egg Cups
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 cup corn, (see note 1)
- 4 oz. plain cream cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- cilantro for garnish, optional
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- Prep Vegetables: Drain and rinse the corn (if using canned). Chop the bell pepper into small pieces. Cut the jalapeño into thin rings and remove the seeds. Combine the corn, bell pepper and jalapeño in a small bowl. Then evenly distribute the vegetables amongst the muffin pan.
- Add Cream Cheese: Break up the cream cheese into smaller pieces, about the side of a blueberry, and evenly distribute amongst the muffin pan (see note 2). There are usually 3-4 small pieces of cream cheese in each muffin.
- Prep Egg Mixture: Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and black pepper until well combined. Pour the egg mixture into the muffin pan and distribute evenly (see note 3).
- Bake: Put the egg cups in the preheated oven for 23-25 minutes or until cooked through. They are done if you can stick a toothpick in the center egg cup and the toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool & Enjoy: Let the egg cups cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy immediately or store in a sealed container in the fridge to eat later!