This recipe is the perfect combination of sweet dates and salty prosciutto together on crispy flatbread.
Flavors & Ingredients: Have you ever wondered what makes some recipes so good? The answer is actually pretty simple. It’s all about having a balance of flavors and textures (including a variety of colors is always an added bonus since we tend to eat with our eyes first!). This flatbread has mastered the balancing act. It has it all; creamy mascarpone, salty and crispy prosciutto, sweet and chewy dates, fresh and bitter arugula with just a hint of spice from the red pepper flakes.
Uses: This flatbread is good for everything from a fancy dinner party to a casual weekday meal. The best parts are it is fast and the leftovers are DELICIOUS both warm and cold. Trust me. I ate the entire flatbread over the span of a couple days. 🙂 As I sit here writing this, I can’t help but daydream about every last sweet and salty bite.
Type of Crust: This recipe calls for a thin crust pizza crust. I rarely ever have a store bought pizza crust on hand, so I usually use my 2-ingredient pizza crust recipe when I can’t make it to the store. It is fast, easy and only requires 2 ingredients! It sure does get the job done quick when you’re in a pinch!
- Healthy Southwest Pizza
- Margherita Pizza
- Spicy Ahi Tuna Wonton Nachos
- Mediterranean Sweet Potato Nachos
Prosciutto Date Flatbread
- 1 thin crust pizza dough, (see note 1 and 2)
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella
- 3 oz prosciutto
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup arugula
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Crust: Roll out the pizza dough and cook according to package or recipe (see note 1) instructions less 3 minutes. For example if the recipe says to cook the crust for 10 minutes, cook it for 7 minutes, remove it from the oven, complete steps 2 and 3, and then return it to the oven for the remaining 6 minutes once the toppings have been added.
- Slice & Dice: While the crust is in the oven, chop up your dates if you haven't done so already. Cut your fresh mozzarella depending on the shape. If it is one large ball, thinly slice it. If it is a container of a small balls, cut the them halves or quarters. Basically, you want to be able to cover most of the surface of the flatbread with your mozzarella. Set these two ingredients aside.
- Assemble: Remove the crust from the oven. Spread the mascarpone over the crust like you would pizza sauce using a spoon or rubber spatula. Then layer the fresh mozzarella and chopped dates on top. Lastly, tear up the prosciutto into pieces and sprinkle all over the flatbread.
- Cook: Put the flatbread in the oven at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until the cheese has become bubbly and the edges are slightly golden.
- Fresh Toppings & Eat: Remove the flatbread from the oven, top with red pepper flakes and fresh arugula. Serve immediately and enjoy!