Hawaiian Poke Bowl
My hubby, Tom, and I first made Poke on our honeymoon in Hawaii and my god was it delicious. Poke is basically a raw fish salad and is usually an appetizer or a snack, but this recipe turns it into a full meal by adding a few additional hearty ingredients.
I love this recipe because it is incredibly fresh. In fact, it is so fresh, it requires almost no actual cooking. The only ingredient that needs to be cooked is the rice and if you have some leftover rice in the fridge then you've hit the jackpot... a healthy, delicious and beautiful meal that requires NO actual cooking. None. Nada. Zilch. Zero. Okay, you get the point. Enjoy!
Time Required: 15-20 minutes Level: Easy Serves: 2
Poke Bowl Ingredients:
- cooked rice
- 2/3 cup shelled edamame (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup red cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 scallions
- 1/2 avocado
- 8-12 ounces tuna
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp agave or honey
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Cook Rice: Cook the rice according the package instructions. Leftover rice works too!
- Slice and Dice: Thinly slice the cabbage and scallions. Dice the tuna into 1/2"-3/4" cubes. Cut up the avocado however you want (slices or cubes). I felt like being fancy schmancy and sliced up the avocado really thin to make it look pretty, but when it comes how to it... it really all tastes the same regardless of the shape.
- Edamame Time: If you have frozen edamame, thaw it according to package instructions. Usually a couple minutes in the microwave with a tablespoon of water does the trick. If you have shelled edamame that doesn't need to be thawed, you have to do absolutely nothing in this step.
- Get Saucy: In a small bowl mix soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, agave, red pepper flakes and a pinch of the scallions you just sliced up.
- Assemble: Put some rice in the bottom of each bowl, top with sliced cabbage, avocado, edamame, tuna, scallions and sesame seeds. Then drizzle the delicious sauce over the bowl and enjoy!