This fresh and simple Salmon and Rainbow Quinoa recipe is a deliciously satisfying meal you will feel good about eating.
Meal Prep: 5-for-1 Cooking Method
For a long time I had a love hate relationship with meal prepping. Yes, meal prep is a great way to set yourself up for success when life gets busy. However, I felt like I was buying a million different ingredients every week and spending way more of my Sunday meal prepping than I wanted to.
I also tried mass prepping one meal to cut down on prep time but I hated eating the same meal several times throughout the week. This girl needs a little variety in her life.
So, I came up with my own way to meal prep and I call it the 5-for-1 Cooking Method. This method makes my grocery list short and sweet. Also, I only spend about an hour meal prepping at the beginning of the week AND I get to enjoy a different meal everyday. It is really the best of both worlds!
This Salmon and Rainbow Quinoa recipe is actually adapted from one of my FREE 5-for-1 Meal Prep Plans. The 5-for-1 Cooking Method takes a set of ingredients and strategically uses those ingredients in different ways to create unique, delicious and healthy meals. This means fewer ingredients and less prep without sacrificing variety. Input your email below to grab a free copy of the 5-for-1 guide and one of my meal plans.
Healthy & Simple
Some of my favorite meals are the ones that are healthy and simple. This salmon dinner definitely falls within that category. Simple recipes take advantage of the natural flavors, textures and colors of the ingredients which result in beautiful, delicious and nourishing meals with very little effort.
Don’t believe this recipe is uber simple? I’ll break it down into a simple equation. After all I was on the math team as a kid. We were called the Math Masters. Haha good times. Anyway, back to my nerd equation.
protein + starch or grain + fruits & veggies + extra flavors = A Damn Good Meal
salmon + quinoa + cabbage/tomato/jalapeño/avocado + lime = This Damn Good Recipe
See? #MathMasters #4Lyfe
See How Salmon & Rainbow Quinoa is Made
Salmon and Rainbow Quinoa
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 head red cabbage, about 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced
- 1/2 jalapeño
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup cilantro lightly packed
- 1/2-1 tsp. lime juice, to taste
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 24 oz salmon, 4 filets
- olive oil
- Prep Fresh Ingredients: Dice the tomatoes. Chop up the cabbage. The thinner and smaller the cabbage, the better! Remove the seeds from the jalapeño and finely dice the jalapeño. Cut the avocado into cubes. Roughly chop the cilantro. Combine the tomatoes, cabbage, jalapeño, avocado, cilantro, lime juice and a couple pinches of salt in a bowl. Set aside or store in the fridge until needed.
- Cook Quinoa: Prepare quinoa according to package instructions. Season with salt to taste (a few big pinches). TIME SAVING TIP: Make quinoa ahead of time and store in the fridge.
- Prep Salmon: Season both sides of the fish with a couple pinches of salt and lightly coat the fish with olive oil (about 1 tsp./filet).
- Cook Salmon: In a large pan over medium to medium/high heat, cook the fish for 3-4 minutes on each side. OPTIONAL: Squeeze a little lemon or lime juice over the salmon as it cooks.
- Assemble: Serve up the quinoa and salmon. Top with a handful of the fresh ingredients. Serve with lime wedges if desired. Enjoy!