This Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a warm comfort food you can feel good about eating. It is loaded with fresh ingredients and will leave you feeling full and satisfied. With winter around the corner, this is the perfect recipe to warm up with on cold days.
Other Warm Recipes
A healthy comfort food. Enjoying comfort food doesn’t mean having to sacrifice healthy eating. This recipe is the perfect example. The soup itself is loaded with nutritious ingredients and topped with even more fresh deliciousness. It is hearty enough to be a complete meal itself! In fact, I ate this soup for 5 meals straight (yes, even breakfast). I would have eaten it for 6 or 7 meals but I downed the entire pot of soup by meal 5.
Fresh Toppings are Key
Are the toppings really necessary? Yes! Although the healthy chicken tortilla soup is darn good by itself, the addition of the toppings makes this recipe is an absolute home-run. The only topping I wouldn’t consider critical, is the avocado.
The lime juice, red cabbage and cilantro add a zesty fresh crunch which balances out the rich warm flavors of the soup so perfectly, I don’t even have words. Also, a dollop of Greek yogurt gives the soup a little bit of a creamy tartness that is OH SO GOOD. . Can you tell this is one of my favorite recipes?
Greek Yogurt > Sour Cream
Greek yogurt instead of sour cream? Huh? Yes, that is correct! We used plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream in this recipe. It is a healthier option and I personally think Greek yogurt tastes better than sour cream in the recipe anyway. So, it’s a win win! I recommend getting full-fat/whole milk plain Greek yogurt and promise you won’t regret it! Greek yogurt makes an appearance in many of my recipes. Here are just a few!
Why low-sodium chicken stock?
Stock has a lot of salt of in it. Using low-sodium stock gives you more control over the amount of sodium and the flavor of whatever you are making. Pink Himalayan salt is my favorite and use it for everything. The flavor is awesome and is a slightly healthier option than standard table salt.
Options for shredded chicken:
This recipe calls for shredded chicken and you have a couple options to choose from.
- Store-bought Shredded – Buy pre-cooked and pre-shredded chicken at the store.
- Store-bought Rotisserie – Buy a roasted chicken and shred it at home with two forks.
- Homemade in Oven – Make your own shredded chicken in the oven (30-35 minutes at 350°F for chicken breasts). Let the chicken cool and shredded with two forks.
- Homemade in Crockpot – Make your own shredded chicken in the crockpot (5-6 hours on low or 3ish hours on high). Shred with two forks once cooked through.
A creamy soup without the cream?
That is correct! We skipped the heavy cream in this recipe and went with a lighter option. We used a little whole wheat flour to get that thick creamy texture. The recipe also calls for a little cheddar cheese and greek yogurt which just adds to the rich flavor and creamy texture!
Make-Ahead/Meal Prep Approved
Can this soup be made ahead? Yes! The leftovers reheat wonderfully and are delicious. Whether you have a busy week, need lunch to bring to the office or like the simplicity of having leftovers in the fridge, this recipe is a good meal prep option.
Reheating the soup. The quickest and most convenient method is to just pop it in the microwave. Put some soup in a bowl and microwave it in 30-45 second intervals, stirring between, until you’ve reach the desired temperature.
Which pot/pan to use?
Any of the following pots/pans works well for the recipe. I personally use a chef’s pan for everything! By far my favorite thing to cook in.
Tools & Equipment
This Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a warm comfort food loaded with fresh ingredients flavor.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock (low-sodium if possible)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5oz)
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups shredded chicken (1 lb. raw)*
- 1.5 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Greek yogurt
- red cabbage
- fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- avocado (optional)
- Prep ingredients. Chop the onion. Peel and mince the cloves of garlic. Chop the jalapeño.
- Add the olive oil and chopped onion to a large pot over medium heat. Cook for about 4-6 minutes or until the onions have softened. Add the garlic to the pot and cook for another minute.
- Then add the whole wheat flour, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes while stirring. At this point the flour and seasonings will stick to the onion and garlic. The mixture should be very dry and fragrant.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken stock 1 cup at a time. Whisk well to avoid any lumps! Add the can of diced tomatoes, jalapeño, frozen corn and shredded chicken*. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the toppings. Cut lime into wedges. Thinly slice the red cabbage. Roughly chop the fresh cilantro. Either slice or dice the avocado. Sprinkle all the toppings with salt and a couple squeezes of lime juice. Set the toppings aside.
- Once the soup has simmered for 10-15 minutes, reduce the heat to low. Stir in the cheese one handful at a time.
- Serve immediately and top with Greek yogurt, lime wedges, red cabbage, fresh cilantro and avocado. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge.
*This recipe calls for shredded chicken. Simply coat 1 lb. of chicken breasts/filets (usually 2-3 pieces) with a little bit of olive oil and a couple sprinkles of salt. Cook the chicken in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then shred the cooked chicken with two forks. This can be done the day before making the soup to save time!