My dearest mother is the culinary genius behind this tasty masterpiece everyone refers to as Mother Theresa’s Famous Italian Beef. She’s been making it for years and it is quite the crowd pleaser. Requiring only 4 ingredients and 2 minutes of prep, this is the stuff legends are made of.
Helpful Notes & Tips About Recipe
Flavor & Ingredients
It is cooked low and slow in beer and pepperoncini peppers with Italian seasoning making it incredibly tender. Every bite melts in your mouth. The pepperoncini peppers add a tiny little zing which is so good. Also, I hate to state the obvious but anything cooked low and slow in beer is pretty much guaranteed to be a home run.
Store-bought or Homemade? It is entirely up to you whether you decide to use a store-bought Italian seasoning packet or make your own at home (here is an easy Italian Seasoning recipe). I’ve done both. If you are concerned with salt in-take or quality of ingredients, I would recommend making your own. It just gives you more control over what’s in it!
Type of Roast
The grocery store will probably have all kinds of roasts. Don’t let that throw you! Any kind of roast will work. For this specific recipe the cheaper roasts (rump roast or chuck roast) are what I generally use because it is cooked low and slow which will make any roast tender and delicious! So, there is no need to drop extra $$$ on an expensive roast.
If you want to make your Italian Beef alcohol-free, swap out beer for beef stock! Note: The alcohol will cook out during the cooking process. This recipe is suitable for children!
Make-Ahead & Meal Prep Approved
Shredded Italian Beef is easy to make ahead and reheats wonderfully. Store it in a sealed container in the fridge. Don’t forget to add some of the cooking liquid. It is full of flavor and will keep the shredded beef nice and juicy.
How I Eat It
My favorite ways to eat it (other than straight out of the crock-pot) is in a sandwich with a simple soft Hawaiian roll with a little bit of the juice poured over the shredded beef. My mouth is watering just at the thought.
Uses & Ideas
One of the best things about this recipe is it is so versatile. The possibilities are endless! You can use it in paninis, tacos, breakfast hashes, burrito bowls, gyros, meat sauce… the list goes on! You could also serve the Italian beef as with with sides of mashed potatoes and a veggie (or tryout a 2-for-1 recipe like Hidden Spinach Mashed Potatoes).
Recipe Ideas to Serve with Italian Beef
How to Make Italian Beef
Tools & Equipment
This Italian Beef recipe is only four ingredients and full of flavor. This is definitely a crowd favorite.
- 3–5lb. beef roast*
- 1 can beer
- 1 16 oz. jar pepperoncini peppers
- 1 Italian seasoning packet or 2–3 Tbsp. of homemade Italian seasoning**
- Cook: Put all ingredients into a crock-pot including the juice from the jar of pepperoncini peppers. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Shred: Remove the roast from the crock-pot and put on a cutting board. Shred the roast with two forks. It should shred very easily since it has been cooking low and slow for hours.
- Cook (round two): Once the roast is shredded return it to the crock-pot and cook for an additional hour on low heat to let the shredded beef really soak up all the delicious flavors.
- EAT: Serve immediately or refrigerate in a sealed container in the fridge. I always store the Italian beef in the cooking liquid because it makes the beef incredibly flavorful and juicy.
*The grocery store will probably have all kinds of roasts. Don’t let that throw you! Any kind of roast will work. For this specific recipe the cheaper roasts (rump roast or chuck roast) are what I generally use because it is cooked low and slow which will make any roast tender and delicious! So, there is no need to drop extra $$$ on an expensive roast.
**Homemade Italian Seasoning packets are quick and easy to make at home.