This healthy coconut curry chicken recipe is a lightened up version of a flavorful favorite that is warm, satisfying and easy to make. The leftovers are simply delicious and are perfect for meal prep.
We all love a good curry from our favorite Indian restaurant but not many of us would ever consider making it at home. Making a dish like this can be intimidating because it easy to assume it requires complex cooking methods and exotic unfamiliar ingredients. However, this usually isn’t the case. This curry recipe is quick and easy. I’ve even outline where in the grocery store to find all the ingredients to save you time and worry!
Where to Find Ingredients at Grocery Store
- bell peppers – fresh produce section
- cilantro – fresh produce section
- lime – fresh produce section
- chicken breast – fresh poultry section
- Thai red curry paste – Asian foods aisle
- soy sauce – Asian foods aisle
- canned coconut milk – Asian and/or Indian foods aisle
- brown sugar – baking aisle
- curry powder – spice aisle (in the standard alphabetized spice section)
- olive oil – spice/oil/vinegar aisle
- salt – spice/oil/vinegar aisle
Cauliflower Rice Hints & Tips
Rice Options: This recipe substitutes normal white rice with cilantro lime cauliflower rice which is a lighter option and a good way to sneak more veggies into your diet. However, if you’re in the mood for some delicious white rice instead, go for it! You’re the cook!
Cauliflower Rice Options: You can either make your own cauliflower rice using a food processor (instructions in recipe) or you can buy pre-chopped cauliflower rice at the store.
Other Recipes to Try
Coconut Curry Chicken with Cilantro Cauliflower Rice
Coconut Curry Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 lb chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 bell peppers
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. Thai red curry paste
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce,
- 1/2 lime
- small handful cilantro
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice Ingredients:
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lime
- small handful cilantro
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice Instructions:
- Prep: Cut the head of cauliflower into florets. Put the florets into a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower becomes a rice-like consistency. Depending on the size of your food processor you may have to do this in batches. Chop up the cilantro and set aside.
- Cook: Heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large pan over medium/low heat. Add the cauliflower to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes while stirring. Season the cauliflower rice with a couple large pinches of salt (about 1 tsp.). Remove the heat and stir in the chopped cilantro and the juice from ½ a lime.
Coconut Curry Chicken Instructions:
- Prep: Cut chicken breasts into cubes (1/2” – 1”) and season with a couple pinches of salt or ½ tsp. Cut the bell peppers into cubes or thin slices whichever you prefer. Cut the ½ lime into wedges.
- Cook: Heat 1-2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the cubed chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes while stirring occasionally to cook all sides of the chicken. Then add ½ of the cut up bell peppers and the yellow curry powder to the pan. Stir to coat the chicken and peppers with the curry powder and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. NOTE: The curry powder will look a little dry and sticky. That is what is is supposed to look like during this step!
- Boil and Simmer: Next add the coconut milk, red curry paste and brown sugar to the pan and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes while stirring occasionally. Optional Step: Add 1 Tbsp. of soy sauce to the curry before serving.
- Assemble and Enjoy: Dish up some cauliflower rice and spoon the coconut chicken curry over the cauliflower rice. Top with remaining bell pepper and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges for a squeeze of zesty lime juice of the top of the curry. Enjoy!